Wednesday, November 14, 2007

16.63 miles - Lake Calhoun Quick Route variation/night ride - 11/14/07

Night rides are exhilarating to say the least, especially when it is flurrying and there is a steady and strong Northwesterly headwind. I was very comfy in jeans over bike shorts, a wicker thermal long sleeve with a cotton shirt and biking jacket. I also don a Pearl Izumi skullcap and gloves. I wore my old Solomon trail shoes with hiking socks - surprise, no cold toes. The only real problem with the setup is the gloves. I need a layer under them. They are supposed to be windproof, but they hardly are. Maybe I will do an accessory review later.

The ride was great. I turned off of the SW Corridor heading North to City Hall. It will be great when the ped bridge is opened up over HW7. I came back to the Corridor and headed east down to Lake Calhoun and veered off into MPLS and spent some time at Dunn Bros on Hennepin Ave in South Uptown (next to Calhoun Cycle). Then headed home by way of the Lakes and the Corridor. I met about 5 other bikers in the dark - even a recumbent - who looked like commuters. I guess the numbers on the trail is going to be dwindling - including my time on the trails. I will be spending most of my saddle time on trainers at the gym - yeah, I know so don't grill me!!

Anyway, I rode The Bullit and can't wait to get my anti-chain suck mechanism for the front derailleur, so I don't ever have to stop and put the chain back on. THAT REALLY SUCKS AT NIGHT - trust me!

Its gonna be a long winter....

16.63 miles

15.9 avg

28.5 max

505.7 cal

555.1 odo

1.02.47 hours

No comments: