Monday, February 25, 2008

FIRST RIDE OF 08!!!!

13 miles - Hopkins/MPLS Lakes Route (approx...no computer yet)

AND FIRST RIDE ON POPRAD!!! What a difference between my old 2100 carbon/aluminum and the Poprad cyclocross bike. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway and climbed the hill (with ease I should offer!) I knew I was going to like the Poprad. It was fast, smooth (probably due to the steel frame) and handled great and I actually preferred riding in the dropouts.

During the ride I had to make an expected seat height adjustment because I was in street sneakers when I was fitted to the bike. I also turned the handlebars down a bit because I preferred to have my hands on the flats of the dropouts. I also could get ahold of the brakes and shifters better with the handlebar angle changed slightly. That adjustment did cause me to be bent over sightly more to where I was less comfy and it changed my breathing/performance. I am going to rethink the adjustment in the next few rides.

I labored in thought over taking my new bike out on a day like today - melting snow, road sand and salt does not make a bike a happy camper. But, since it IS a cyclocross bike that will spend a lot of time in the dirt while in my possession, I thought, "what the hell," and here is the result....

...besides completely frozen toes...it was a short, but sweet ride...a sign of things to come...goal is 2000+ miles in 2008...!!!



No comments: