Thursday, November 13, 2008

Vintage Trek "Winter Bike"

My very slow, but very comfortable winter bike put together with a vintage Trek (1981 or 82?) Ishiwata tubed lugged steel frame.


It has Tektro brake levers and Tektro long reach caliper brakes on a Salsa "Moto Ace bell Lap" 44cm cyclcocross handlebar. The bar is attached to a new origin 8 80mm long quill stem. The stem sits inside a newly installed Shimano STX headset.




It rides on Serfas Vida Cruiser - 700x38 80psi tires. I've installed the best fender set available, which is the Bontrager Select removeable fender.



022 Ishiwata steel frame.




Bontrager mountain bike saddle (very comfy actually) and a Bontrager aluminum seat post - 26.6 I believe. I have a bracket for a Planet Bike rear light - the best on the market in my opinion.





The coolest feature is the vintage Shimano bar end friction shifter, which came of a very old "Sentinel" bike frame...the find of the year!!! Its works great. I say it because I do not use the left hand shifter - I find that there is no need for a front derailleur here in Minnesota.






Vintage Shimano bar end shifter states "patent pending." I also installed Bontrager grippy handlebar tape - great stuff!!







New stem and headset as noted before...








XT rear derailleur...I may replace this with an LX or something....I don't want to risk ruining a great rear derailleur this winter!! The 5 speed cassette may contribute to the slowness of this bike, but it may be hard to find a faster geared cassette to fit this wheel...
My wheelset is culled from a 1990 Trek 330 road bike. It has a sturdy concave rims that I feel will be great for what I need on this bike...





Origin 8 175mm crankeset with Shimano SPD 520 pedals...









No comments: