Friday, March 14, 2008

3/13/08 - 10 miles - Quick route - West Loop

The second outdoor ride of the season (I ride 45 minutes to an hour indoors nearly every day at the Ridgedale YMCA). I took the quick West Loop - west on the SW Corridor into Hopkins, then swing north on the Hutchinson Spur trail, which turns east to Cedar Lake in Minneapolis and back onto the SW Corridor and home.

The day was a great day for riding, at around 45 degrees with a stiff and steady westerly wind. The trail is in good condition, except for a few shady spots where ice literally covers the trail. Behind Novartis nearing the Cedar Lake trail (which is where I saw 7 deer on the first ride of the season) the trail was literally covered with a couple inches of slick ice. A fellow bikers was out with his ice breaker. I wish him well, but it is only going to freeze over again at night. The thought counts.

The other trail issue is the deep runoff water. About six or sever times I had to unclip and lift my legs so that the water didn't splash up my legs - the water was two to three inches deep in spots and went for 10 to 20 feet. I am going to pick up a set of fenders at work tomorrow....

Fun ride but way to quick...

No comments: