Sunday, March 2, 2008

Disastrous Crank Pull Costs Only Pastrami Burger

I don't know what possessed the makers of that crank set to install the most over engineered and stupid crank on a bike and actually replace XT cranks that came standard equip on my Kona....either way....it was ugly, but it came off with special thanks to Penn Cycle's own Doug the Magician Master Mechanic (DMMM or D3M or Dm3)....and all it will cost me is an overpriced pastrami burger from Crossroads Delicatessin (where you can get the overpriced jingoesque "Freedom Fries") - DMMM's soft spot.

The shell and threads came out remarkably unscathed considering there were cutting (with actual sparks), drilling and hammering involved.

Next step is to install the used 4 bolt LX cranks from craigslist and a fresh bottom bracket (size, yet to be determined). I installed a Bontrager Select saddle (not big deal, but the price was right). I picked up a set of Chunky Fuel ESI grips and I am going to install my Continental Supersonic 1.9 foldable tires - fast, good for singletrack.

The other creepy setback was the broken skewer, which is not just any old skewer, but an "axel skewer" that only Ritchey and a few expensive brands carry. Not a real setback, I'll just use a Deore front wheel off another of my mountain bikes....

After these additions...the Mano Mano will be ready to roll...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there,

Have you worked out the length of BB needed yet? I'm putting a 1998 Manomano together and I think the original was a 110mm UN52 but I've got an XT M752 Octalink to go on so I need an ES71 - was going to try out a 113mm but not sure if it'll be okay.

Welcome your findings.

Cheers

Craig.

Unknown said...

Update on that post, just finished fitting a 68 x 113mm ES71 octalink (V2) with the XT M752 crankset. Beautiful chainline, very smooth.

Hope you have a good time with your Manomano.

Craig.

GolgiApparatus said...

I don't remember what we used but I remember having to try three different lengths until we got it correct. We needed the shortes one we could find. Sorry I don't remember exactly which BB we used until we achieved the correct chainline...

I have only been on the road with the bike once and cannot wait to hit the trail. I am shooting for next week and will give an update on how the bike performs....

Thanks for commenting...and good luck with your bike...we can compare notes....

Will