Sunday, March 16, 2008

Homemade Chain Guide for My 1x9 Trek Vintage Frame Commuter








On the Hokey Meter this might score a 9 out of 10 - 10 being the hokiest, but I am sure that my contraption will work as intended. I have the same issue on both of my commuter bikes , which are set up the same way...1x9 and 1x 7 ... by taking the two smaller chain rings off of the cranks.

Who needs all those gears in Minnesota anyway .......there's no hills.

Both bikes have the same issue - the chains pop off of the chain ring. For my Marin mountain bike conversion commuter I have a guide that retails for about 13 dollars. It guides the inner side of the chain ring...so what happens is that the chain then pops off of the outside?

One solution is to use a chain guide and a bash guard, however, consider the other option - using a derailleur to guide the chain. Or you could take a cable housing guide, attach some strong metal and bend it creatively into a homemade chain guide. Observe the video and pics and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

iamtom said...

Very cool. This is exactly what I wanted to do. Any chance of a quick tutorial, or even the materials you used?
Cheers.
Tom

GolgiApparatus said...

I used "rack hardware" for the main pieces, which is the metal pieces used to hold a panier rack to the frame. I attached the rack hardware to the frame using a cable guide from an old bike. You would have to drill out the cable guide to be able to slide a small bolt through.

Now that the hardware is attachable to the cable guide you can fashion the guide/hardware (using a vise and a small hammer)to fit over the chain. You will have to cut and bend another small piece to attach to the large guide that will act as a guide for the inside of the chain. If you use rack hardware, cut the inner guide using rack hardware that has a slot down the middle so that when you attach the inner guide to the outer guide it will be adjustable.

So in the end you have a guide for the inside and outside of the chain that is adjustable and lightweight.

You will need:
-rack hardware (bike shops should have free extras just hanging around)
-cable guide from an old bike
-small bolts, washers and nuts
-drill and bits
-hacksaw
-table-mounted vise
-hammer
-screwdrivers

Good luck...let me know how it turns out!!!