Monday, April 28, 2008

50.83 miles - Ironman - 4/27/08

50.83 miles

13.4 avg

34.6 max

cal 1556.0

3.46.03

Poprad

Unfortunately, I didn't remember my camera to take pictures of the Ironman Bike Ride with Thatcher and myself. Thatcher rode with me for the first 12.5 miles and I did the rest on my own - which, turned out to be a crazy day.

I signed up for the 62 mile ride. Like I said, I did the first 12.5 with my son. Then my wife picked Thatcher and his bike up (pics to come later of him and his bike). I proceeded to go from that point on to Panama Ave, where I mistakenly took the wrong turn (yes, it was clearly marked as I found out later) and ended up about 10, or so, miles north of my route ( I saw signs for New Prague). So I decided, of course, to head back to the first rest stop at 28 miles in Lonsdale - my mile 50. Right as I pulled in the American Legion parking lot it started to drizzle. After my hot dog I went outside to icy, rainy, snowy mix. On my right was the direction out of the lot, on my left was a warm bus with a trailer for taking bikes back to start. I chose the bus. I am glad I did, because when I got back to Lakeville High School and rode my bike the 1/2 mile to my car I was shivering from the rainy cold. If I would have stayed on route I would have had 35 miles of icy cold rain and no rain gear in 35 degrees. I think I made a smart move.

It was an interesting experience. The highlight was having a great discussion with my son and spending some quality time with him on the first 12.5 miles....thanks Thatcher for making my day!!!!
PS: The pics are of my Poprad with my Bontrager road tires...looks great!!! Rides great too!!!

No comments: